Friday, March 28, 2008

Addiction to your Old LIfe

I was watching VH1's Celebrity Rehab and I came to an interesting similarity. In case you don't watch VH1 shows, Celebrity Rehab is where they have all these C List celebrities going through rehabilitation for drugs and alcohol led by Dr. Drew (from Love line).Last night was the end of the show and they were talking about their next steps for changing their ways. Some were going to do Sober Living, some were going to do Outpatient programs and some were going to attend meetings to try to keep them under control.As I have had the chance to help out at bootcamps, I could definitely draw similarities to this. Ultimately it is up to the student to make the decision to keep on going out, keep making changes in his life, keep doing sets, keep calling girls on the phone, etc.As Dr. Drew says in the show's conclusion, "Even as they leave here today I know some of them will fail, some of them will stumble, some of them will use. I believe they all have experienced something that may plant a seed so that one day it will lead to sustained sobriety"This rings true with my experience as well."Just three weeks ago, 9 people entered my treatment program with desire to change their lives. They have struggled, they have fought, they have loved, they had successes, failures, experienced joy, misery...Every patient that entered this process was changed. They all had powerful experiences that were life altering and I believe will stay with them forever."These echo my feelings about bootcamp. Going into the process I know that many may fall by the wayside and ultimately it is in the power of the student to change. I hope that we do in fact plant a seed that will motivate and inspire them to change their life, as it has with me, if they follow the structure we give them.I know from personal experience transformations can happen. However it is difficult and tests your will not to stay addicted to your old life. I take a look at the bootcamp I was in and I am the last remaining member who posts and is active in the community. I know it can happen but it is very difficult and it is ultimately up to you.Sinn always says, "The people that go out on Sunday will be the ones that get good." And that my friends is the bottom line.P

No comments: